Ok- so Sloppy Joes are probably one of the easiest and oldest recipes in the history of the South. And somehow I TOTALLY butchered this common dish. This is how bad it was...Ben tries everything that I make, and eats it with a smile no matter how bad it is. Tonight he wouldn't even taste it.
About once a year I get the taste for a Sloppy Joe. Today was that day. So, I got online to find a new recipe and I came across a Paula Dean recipe. Thinking that it would be satisfying, I am off to the store. The recipe says to make French Onion soup, brown and drain ground beef, and then add 1/2 cup of the soup and 2 tablespoons of flour. Simmer for a little bit and serve on a bun. As I am cooking I am getting suspicious of this dish....imagine the color of this mixture....all brown...turn off #1.
So, I decide to add some ketchup, Worcestershire, and mustard. Now, picture the color again....darker brown....now starting to resemble something that would come out of the body instead of in the body...turn off #2.
After mixing all of these ingredients the smell is very fragrant, so I decide to add some garlic powder...I mean who doesn't like the smell of garlic. Another bad idea, a heinous smell... and turn off #3.
I promise I am a better cook than this. And I have no idea what prompted all of my great ideas. But, next time I am going to quit while I am ahead. Life lesson learned.
I hope everyone else's dinner was more successful than mine. Happy Monday!!
-Sara
Polar Plunge 2023
3 years ago
I have a wonderful Southern Living sloppy joe recipe if you want it. I don't make it that often either, but it is a good one. Let me know.
ReplyDeleteCarrie
That is hilarious! I can just picture it too:) You look so tan in those pictures at Harding! I normally go to Spring Sing every year too, but I chose to stay in Memphis this year to visit my family and friends. I heard about the show though and heard the "old people" were awesome:) Glad you are blogging!
ReplyDeleteYAY Sara's blog!
ReplyDelete